2/26/2008

LOG: A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven)


Having recently taken in a fascinating, rare showing of Powell's Bluebeard's Castle, and having only "The Red Shoes" under my belt of his films otherwise, I figured now would be a good time to start digging in. This, with Emeric Pressburger, among the few still unavailable on Reg. 1 DVD, was a nice starting point, I think. I am fascinated by the bizarre, unruliness of Powell/Pressburger that I have seen so far. Who else would or could make this film in 1946? No one, I'm sure. Imaginative and melancholy, beautiful and hopeful. No wonder people love these films. Looking forward to continuing on. Next up.. The Tales of Hoffmann? (Think I'll start at the end & work backwards.)

On a side note, I paid $1 to rent this for one week from the Naperville Library. WTF?! This town is a joke.

No comments: